I am currently completing my Training Contract with Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP in the City of London. I am a versatile and dynamic individual with over 5 years' experience in the corporate and legal sectors inclusive of facilitating a US$200 million international disposal of assets, assisting with the successful defence of a US$2.1 billion lawsuit and sourcing potential investment opportunities in ENR assets for international and institutional investors.
With a diverse employment background and rich academic career, I bring several perspectives to approaching tasks and solving problems. Having pursued these in truly international environments ranging from Asia to Europe, I have a comprehensive understanding of the global economy in addition to a deep appreciation of working cultures across the developed and emerging worlds.
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
September 2017 - Current
• As the final stage of qualifying as a solicitor in England and Wales, I am spending six months in four different departments (i.e. four different 'seats') over the course of 2 years to gain practical experience before qualification in 2019.
• My first seat is Litigation & Arbitration.
June 2013 - August 2013
• Identifying and evaluating investment prospects in ENR assets throughout the Asia Pacific that represent viable opportunities for international and institutional investors.
• Completing the legal and corporate processes required by the restructuring of an international drilling services group headquartered in Singapore. Further responsibilities include establishing subsidiaries in Myanmar, Mongolia and Papua New Guinea in addition to implementing a new asset holding structure and overseeing insurance matters for the group's ten companies.
• Researching the requirements of establishing corporate entities in the Middle East, South America and GCC countries as well as asertaining regions where significant interest in ENR assets exists.
Avocet Mining Plc
July 2012 - February 2013
• Assisted in the successful defence of a US$2.1 billion lawsuit brought against a FTSE 250 company at both the High and District Courts of Indonesia. The suit is currently pending appeal in the Supreme Court of Indonesia.
• Analysed and evaluated over 17,000 correspondences in addition to all events that occurred during 'Project Trophy': please see previous period of employment with Avocet Mining below.
• Above evaluation employed in the litigation process by Baker & McKenzie and Fieldfisher.
Note: I pursued this employment during my final year of the MA in Law at the University of Bristol.
Avocet Mining Plc
January 2011 - September 2011
• Completed 'Project Trophy': the sale of Avocet Mining's Southeast Asian assets and interests for US$200 million across five jurisdictions: English, Australian, Dutch, Indonesian and Malaysian.
• Project Trophy was nominated for 'Deal of the Year 2011' on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) of the London Stock Exchange.
• Further responsibilities included discharging US$25 million of securities with Standard Chartered Bank and handling the completion of the sale of Avocet's Overseas Headquarters for US$2 million.
• Worked with and alongside Baker & McKenzie, Ashurst, Dentons, K&L Gates and Fieldfisher in addition to Malaysian law firms Zaid Ibrahim & Co and Skrine.
Malaysian Australian New Zealand Association (MANZA)
January 2008 - January 2011
• Responsible for all administrative, financial and sport-related matters of a junior cricket department for a non-profit expatriate organisation.
• Oversaw the acquisition of new equipment in addition to implementing an assertive marketing campaign and developing training programmes for age groups ranging from 5 to 18 years old.
• Awarded the 'Clubman of the Year Award 2008' in recognition of services and achievements.
September 2007 - February 2008
• Constructed and presented proposals to improve inter and intra-department communication and administrative efficiency in addition to regulating the company's databases.
Gleneagles Private Hospital
October 2004 - October 2004
• Surveyed various medical departments to gain an understanding of various medical specialisms and what a medical career entails.
BPP University Law School
September 2016 - July 2017
University of Bristol
October 2011 - July 2013
February 2008 - November 2010