Assistant Manager, Advisory
"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take."
Living up to the quote, Tarminder is passionate about encouraging people to take the road less ventured. With a strategic mindset and a heart for talent development, Tarminder has a range of experience in various industries. Having begun his career in a non-profit organization, he then ventured into the Management Consulting industry to help companies solve some of their biggest problems. Currently, Tarminder is attached to KPMG IT Enabled Transformation Team and is helping businesses to remain competitive today and relevant tomorrow via the strategic utilisation of technology. His professional forte includes Project Management, Strategy Development, Business Transformation and Management Reporting.
Academically, Tarminder holds an honors degree in Accounting & Finance from Sunway University, as well as a holder of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (“CIMA”).
Assistant Manager, Advisory
December 2018 - Current
Attached to the IT Enabled Transformation team within the business advisory services of KPMG
Senior Executive, Strategic Planning & Development
International Medical University
November 2016 - July 2018
Part of the Strategic Planning team in IMU that focuses on education and healthcare industry. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Programme Management of the execution of IMU's 5-year Strategic Plan.
- Review existing business model and involved in new business development to drive the growth of the University.
- Preparation of Management Committee and Board of Directors papers.
- Monitor the market and industry on relevant developments in education and healthcare.
- Involvement in ad-hoc matters and special assignments.
Senior Advisory Consultant
Ernst & Young (EY)
March 2016 - August 2016
Assigned to the Financial Services Industry, client engagements involved the areas of Project Management Office (PMO), Change Management, Strategy & Transformation and Process Design.
Senior Advisory Consultant
January 2014 - February 2016
Part of the Management Consulting Team. My core project engagements involved project management, change management, policy development and process improvement.
• Project & Change Management: Team lead in multiple project management engagements for the GST Implementation. Being the team lead, I led in the areas of project status reporting, change management, development of Implementation Plan, project risk management, stakeholder management, as well as establishing key metrics to determine project success. My experience also covers coordination between cross-functional internal teams, the client and governmental bodies. My industrial expertise includes FMCG, Utilities, Investment Holding Company and Luxury Goods.
• Policy Development: Co-developed the Group GST Guideline for the Airport Management Company. This included interviewing key stakeholders, facilitating workshop discussions to arrive at key business decisions, as well as co-developing the Group GST Guideline to allow the Company to be more efficient in the post-GST era.
• Process Improvement: Led the process improvement exercise for a Shared Services company. This involved assessing the “As-Is” Processes, facilitating workshop and focus group sessions, documenting the key changes to the process maps, and mapping the “To-Be” process maps in Microsoft Visio. Additional responsibilities included project managing my process workstream and coaching the client on best practices for process mapping.
• Business Development: Involved in business development work for the firm. This included preparing proposals, sales kit brochures, researching on latest trends in the industry, and data analysis.
Strategy & Operations Associate
Teach For Malaysia
June 2012 - December 2013
My main responsibility at Teach For Malaysia was to ensure that all the decision-makers in the organization made sound financial decisions by providing accurate and relevant financial information in a timely manner. Secondly, was to support other areas under Strategy and Operations to ensure all functions can perform at optimal levels. Some of my notable achievements were:
• Co-led the creation of the Organization’s pioneer Financial Risk Management Framework to ensure guidelines are in placed in the event of a financial liquidity risk.
• Supported the Strategic Planning Cycle by preparing the Organization’s 3-year Strategic Operating Budget (2013-2015) in a timely manner.
• Responsible for the full-spectrum of management and financial reporting. This included preparing financial reports, budget variance reports, cash flow forecast, as well as ad-hoc reports.
• Key coordinator between cross-functional teams in the monthly reporting of the Organization’s “Scorecard”. This included liaising with various teams for the Scorecard updates, compiling it into an Organization-wide strategic report, as well as following-up with the execution of the respective team’s tactical plans.
• Collaborated with the Head of Finance to ensure the successful management of the Financial Audit of the Organization by managing stakeholders expectations, resolving auditors queries in a timely manner as well as ensuring submission of the audited report in a timely manner.
• Collaborated with the Senior Leadership Team in project managing the Organization’s local expansion to Penang.
• Involved in performance improvement initiatives to enhance and build robust financial processes in the Organization.
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
Noesis Exed Sdn Bhd
January 2013 - June 2014
BSc (Hons) Accounting & FInance
March 2009 - January 2012